ORDINANCE NO. 482
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE CODE OF
ORDINANCES OF THE CITY OF LAPORTE CITY, IOWA,
BY ADDING CHAPTER 76,
PERTAINING TO GOLF CARTS
SECTION 1. NEW CHAPTER. The Code of Ordinances of the City of LaPorte City, Iowa, is hereby amended by adding a new Chapter 76, as follows:
76.01 PURPOSE. The purpose of this chapter is to permit the operation of golf carts on certain streets in the City, as authorized by Section 321.247 of the Code of Iowa, as amended. This chapter applies whenever a golf cart is operated on any street or alley, subject to those exceptions stated herein.
76.02 DEFINITION. “Golf cart” shall mean a three or four wheeled recreational vehicle generally used for transportation of person[s] in the sport of golf, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of less than 800 pounds.
76.03 OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS PERMITTED. Golf carts may be operated upon the streets of the City by persons possessing a valid Iowa operator’s license, and at least eighteen (18) years of age. Golf cart operators shall observe all state and local traffic control regulations and devises. Parents, guardians or other persons having the care, custody and control of a minor under the age of eighteen (18) years old shall not knowingly or negligently permit or allow such a minor to violate the provisions of this chapter.
76.04 PROHIBITED STREETS. Golf carts shall not be operated upon any City street which is a primary road extension through the City. However, golf carts may cross such a primary road extension. All of Highway 218 (aka Commercial Street) within the City limits is hereby designated as a primary road extension through the City.
76.05 OPERATION. Golf carts operated upon City streets shall meet the following requirements:
1. Golf carts shall be equipped with a slow moving vehicle sign;
2. Golf carts shall be equipped with a bicycle safety flag, the top of which shall be a minimum of five (5) feet from ground level,
3. Golf carts operated on city streets shall be equipped with adequate brakes;
4. The number of occupants in the motorized golf cart may not exceed the design occupant load.
5. Golf carts shall be in good mechanical condition and thoroughly safe for transportation of passengers.
76.06 DRIVING ON TRAILS AND SIDEWALKS. Golf carts are prohibited from operating on sidewalks and designated recreation trails in the City including the Cedar Valley Nature Trail and Wolf Creek Trail from Main Street (near Fire Station) to 8th Street (near the gazebo). Carts are allowed on the recreational trail from Anton Drive to Bluff Street, however, pedestrians and bike riders have the right of way on the trail and golf carts are required to pull off and stop to allow them to pass.
76.07 HOURS. Golf carts may be operated on City streets only between sunrise and sunset. Golf carts shall not be operated when visibility is such that there is insufficient light to clearly see person and vehicles at a distance of 500 feet.
76.08 SPEED. No golf carts shall be operated on any City street at a speed in excess of twenty-five (25) miles per hour.
76.09 PARKING. Golf carts shall park only in spaces designated for parking for motor vehicles.
76.10 PERMITS. No person shall operate a Golf Cart on any public street, or alley for any purpose unless the operator possesses a City of La Porte City permit to operate a golf cart on city streets, issued by the City Clerk. There shall be no renewal of permits issued if in the previous year the applicant was cited and convicted of any violations.
1. Golf Cart owners may apply for a permit from the City Clerk of La Porte City on forms provided by the City.
2. The Clerk/Administrator shall not issue a permit until the owner/operator has provided the following:
a. Evidence that the operator is at least 18 years of age, and possesses a valid driver’s license issued by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
b. Proof owner operator has liability insurance and bodily injury insurance covering operation of golf carts on city streets in an amount required by the Iowa Code. The proof of insurance must be with the golf cart whenever said golf cart is in operation.
3. The operator of a golf cart shall display the La Porte City permit sticker prominently on a rear fender or similar component.
4. All permits issued shall uniquely identify the name and address of the owner/operator.
5. The annual fee for such permits shall be thirty-five dollars ($35.00) per calendar year and shall be payable at the time the permit is granted. Permits are valid from January 1 through December 31 of each calendar year. Permits may be purchased at any time during the year, but are only valid through December 31 of each year.
6. The penalty for operating a golf cart without proper permit will be one hundred dollars ($100.00)
76.11 UNLAWFUL OPERATION. A person shall not drive or operate a golf cart:
- In a careless, reckless, or negligent manner as to endanger the person or property of another or cause injury or damage thereto.
- While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotics or habit-forming drugs.
- In or on any park, playground, sidewalk, or upon any publicly owned property except with the permission of the governing body thereof.
76.12 PENALTY. In addition to the suspension or revocation of the permit a person who violated this chapter is guilty of a simple misdemeanor punishable as a scheduled violation under Iowa Code.
SECTION 2. SEVERABILITY CLAUSE. If any section, provision or part of this ordinance shall be adjudged invalid or unconstitutional, such adjudication shall not affect the validity of the ordinance as a whole, or any section, provision or part thereof not adjudged invalid or unconstitutional.
SECTION 3. WHEN EFFECTIVE. This ordinance shall be in effect from and after its final passage, approval and publication as provided by law.
PASSED BY THE CITY COUNCIL the 9th day of June, 2014, and APPROVED this 9th day of June, 2014.
David Neil, Mayor
Jane Whittlesey, City Clerk
First Reading Passed 5/12/2014
Second Reading Passed 5/27/2014
Third Reading Passed 06/09/2014